In the last ten years the U.S. has officially declared 1,000 disasters.
in 2017 we had 3 major natural disasters alone; Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, and Maria.
The goal is to plan now, because the odds are that you will be affected one day.
Here are 6 things to know before one of these disasters strikes!
- Know where your gas shut off valve is located. Shutting off the gas before an emergency can help avoid gas leaks and potential explosions.
- Know where your electrical shut off is. Electrical problems cause an estimated 25,900 house fires each year and this number grows during a disaster.
- Make an emergency communication program. Family members will know where to go, what to do, and how to reconnect.
- Make sure you have insurance, and make sure you know what it covers- flooding? Earthquakes? Etc. Floods are the most common and costly natural disaster. A few inches of water can cause thousands in damage.
- Plan for your pets, most shelters will not accept pets due to public health reasons unless it is a service animal. So search ahead to find a shelter who allows pets.
- Know your evacuation routes. Many communities have them, make sure you know these routes as in a disaster every second counts.
Always remember you can visit www.FEMA.org for more information on disasters and how to plan!